Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ready, Set, Go!

Welcome to my (our) new blog, The Jumbly Life! Here's where we'll come to chronicle our life in Tbilisi, Georgia (yes, THAT Georgia), reflect on whatever needs reflecting on, and stay in touch with all our loved ones.

Who are we? We're a married couple of teachers from Vermont with an awesome two-year-old boy. We (the adults) will be teaching at an international school in Tbilisi, speaking Russian, learning Georgian, and poking around markets for fun. Our son will be learning truck-related vocabulary in Russian and Georgia, woofing at Georgian doggies, and adventuring with mom and dad.

What's the jumbly life? One of my favorite poems is Edward Lear's The Jumblies (or listen to it here). I even went so far as to embroider part of the poem on Laura and Eben's daughter Lucy's birth quilt though I'm not sure I ever explained why to them. Better late than never. "The Jumblies" is a rolicking Lear poem that tells the story of a group of creatures who go to sea in a less than seaworthy vessel despite all the doom and gloom of their friends, have a fabulous time regardless of so-called hardships, and come back all the wiser and happier for giving the great unknown a shot. Can you tell I teach English? I don't think the poem only refers to traveling to far away lands; it can be just as hard to do something uncertain nearer to home (like building a house, Mom, or starting a new job, Liz). Eben and Laura, I offered that poem to Lucy in hopes that she will always strike out bravely in her life, make the best of what comes along, and feel richer for those experiences.

While I definately don't always succeed in going the way of the Jumblies, I'm trying. The move to Tbilisi feels a bit like a climbing up a fire tower (a pretty scary thing for me if you're familiar with my fear of heights)--not impossible but unknown and belly-fluttering. We hope you'll join us on the journey!

Doesn't it look like we have a little jumbly on our hands? He's ready for anything (or at the very least a downpour)...

7 comments:

  1. Love the blog name and back-story. Can't wait to read all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to see and talk to the 3 of you via Skype this morning. I look forward to hearing about your life in Tbilisi. As you venture forward my love & prayers go with you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stravo (sic? Russian for hello)! Very glad you've set this up. Enjoy your jumbleventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teary just reading this! Looking forward to hearing and seeing news of your days. Traveling can be harder than arriving--may you always be arriving in a new moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We think the jumbly life is a perfectly wonderful way to be! And although Lucy isn't headed for such a big adventure as the little pottamus, we hope she'll have her share of adventures too. Travel safe and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be looking forward to hearing all about your adventure. While we did have household shipments (which wouldn't arrive for 6-8 weeks) when we moved overseas, I still smile at the memory of our family going through the airport with all the luggage and trunks we could lay hands on, plus cat & dog. With all the funny looks we got, I wanted to paste up a sign "WE'RE MOVING!" Can't wait to hear your stories. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Eli, Kara, and Asa, Greetings from Vermont where it is still a bit soggy. Jean and I hope your travel went smoothly. You sure had your hands full. We also hope your reception and settling in are going well. We are picking up bits and pieces from your stay here, friendly reminders of how much fun it was to have you here. Let us know when you get plugged it. Lots of love, David and Jean

    ReplyDelete